MariaDB is making a big impact on the world. Whether you’re checking your bank account, buying a coffee, shopping online, making a phone call, listening to music, taking out a loan or ordering takeout – MariaDB is the backbone of applications used everyday. Companies small and large, including 75% of the Fortune 500, run MariaDB, touching the lives of billions of people. With massive reach through Linux distributions, enterprise deployments and public clouds, MariaDB is uniquely positioned as the leading database for modern application development.
Do you love the challenge of helping customers with new and interesting problems? Do you have a knack for automating anything you have to do more than twice? Do you have a passion for distributed systems, kubernetes or cloud database services? If you answered yes, then you’ll love working on our SkyServices Customer Engineering team at MariaDB as we grow our exciting SkySQL cloud platform solution.
As a Customer Engineer you are responsible for helping lighthouse customers and prospects succeed with SkySQL and Xpand. Our Customer Engineers act as Subject Matter Experts and customer advocates for key MariaDB products and services. As the primary escalation point for SkySQL and Xpand, you will utilize advanced troubleshooting skills and creative problem-solving capabilities. You must be self-motivated and capable of working autonomously.
We are a “virtual” team, distributed globally, telecommuting via the Internet. We make heavy use of email, Slack, the web, ssh, and similar “remote” technologies. Prior experience in this form of working environment is ideal.
Because we must provide coverage to our customers 24x7x365, this position does occasionally involve work on nights, weekends, and holidays, however, we leverage our global team to minimize the impact as much as possible with a focus on work/life balance. Work location is very flexible. MariaDB does not sponsor relocation or work visas.
- Help customers:
- Architect SkySQL and Xpand deployments
- Proactively plan for growth in data and transaction volumes
- Migrate effectively from legacy (commercial) database systems to SkySQL or Xpand
- Enable SkySQL customers for self service
- Participate in pre-sales activities such as:
- Joining sales calls and on-site visits (post COVID) with prospects to make technical presentations
- Leading highly technical PoC’s for Xpand / SkySQL working closely with Account Sales Engineer
- Working closely with SRE and Product management teams to help steer the products based on customer and prospect needs
- Train/Enable SkyDBAs on SOPs
- Key member in SkySQL & Xpand Escalation Calls
- Help provide oversight onboarding lighthouse SkySQL/Xpand accounts
- Perform DBA activities remotely with SkySQL customers around the world
- Automate various SkySQL tasks
- Perform periodic health checks and reports on SkySQL Services
- Participate in the community by blogging and other social media
- Help the MariaDB team build tools and enhancements around SkySQL, especially those that may take time to implement via Engineering
- Ability to be on-call as needed to guarantee customer SLAs
- Manage SkySQL customers across cloud environments
- Ability to travel internationally (post COVID) for company-related meetings
- Act as a customer advocate
- Investigate incidents and prepare RCAs
- Help improve practices and common methodologies for all Sky related teams
- Knowledge and experience with MySQL, MariaDB, Clustrix or Xpand
- Passion for serving customers and solving technical problems
- Proficient with virtualization and containerization software (Docker, Kubernetes, Xen, Virtualbox, Vmware, etc.)
- Knowledge of one or more of the following database technologies:
- SQL – Oracle, Exadata, Sybase, DB2, SQL Server
- NoSQL – MongoDB, Redis, Apache Cassandra
- Sysadmin experience (Linux, Windows, etc.)
- Very strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Strong knowledge of SQL query writing and optimization
- AWS, GCP, Azure or other cloud knowledge
- In-depth knowledge of various high availability environments and technologies
- Proficient in one or more scripting language (Bash, Python, Go, etc)
- Comfortable working remotely (equipment provided)
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills
Bonus Experience and Skills
- Expert knowledge of MariaDB and MySQL, certifications recommended. Some working experience with an enterprise relational and/or analytical database is required.
- Previous experience working remotely
- Proficient with multiple backup utilities (mydumper, MariaDB Backup, Xtrabackup, mysqldump, etc.)
- Contributions to open-source software in the MariaDB/MySQL ecosystem
- Experience with other MariaDB products such as MaxScale, ColumnStore, Cluster/Galera, Xpand, Clustrix, etc
- Operational knowledge (e.g. Data Loading, Querying, Performance Tuning, Architecture) of analytical databases: Greenplum, Netezza, Redshift, Vertica, Teradata, Clickhouse, Spark, HBase, Cassandra, MariaDB ColumnStore
- Experience in a 24×7 support environment
United States or Canada
What’s in It for You?
Impact the world of technology by pushing the boundaries of technology and business models, working at MariaDB. Be part of a game-changing organization that encourages outside-the-box thinking, values empowerment, and is truly shaping the future of the software industry. You’ll be collaborating with high-caliber colleagues around the world, offering unparalleled learning and growth opportunities. We provide a very competitive compensation package, 25 days paid annual leave (plus holidays), stock options, a massive degree of flexibility and freedom, and more.
How to Apply
Submit your application here.
MariaDB does not sponsor work visas or relocation.
MariaDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MariaDB is an equal opportunity employer.
MariaDB will not accept agency resumes without prior contractual agreement with HR. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee directly. MariaDB is not responsible for any unsolicited resumes.