MariaDB is making a big impact on the world. Whether you’re checking your bank account, buying a coffee, shopping online, making a phone call, listening to music, taking out a loan or ordering takeout – MariaDB is the backbone of applications used everyday. Companies small and large, including 75% of the Fortune 500 run MariaDB, touching the lives of billions of people. With massive reach through Linux distributions, enterprise deployments and public clouds, MariaDB is uniquely positioned as the leading database for modern application development.
Are you driven to provide excellent customer service? Do you love building highly successful teams and bringing out the best in people? Are you passionate about delivering professional and managed services? If you answered “yes,” then you might be the right candidate for leading our SkyServices DBA team at MariaDB as we grow our exciting SkySQL cloud platform solution.
As the Director of Global SkyServices, you are responsible for hiring, mentoring, and retaining a team of highly skilled professional database administrators who provide managed services to our most important customers worldwide. Leading multiple teams across the globe, overseeing coverage schedules, customer escalations and managing the relationship with our most important customers is only the beginning of this role. You’ll be called upon to be a strategic voice in our Customer Success Leadership team and occasionally assist with selling Sky Services in Strategic sales cycles. Finally as a member of the leadership team at MariaDB you’ll be required to travel occasionally both domestically and internationally.
We are a “virtual” team, distributed globally, telecommuting via the Internet. We make heavy use of email, Slack, the web, ssh, and similar “remote” technologies. Prior experience leading a team of this type is ideal.
Because we must provide coverage to our customers 24x7x365, this position does occasionally involve work on nights, weekends, and holidays, however, we leverage our global team to minimize the impact as much as possible with a focus on work/life balance. Work location is very flexible. MariaDB does not sponsor relocation or work visas.
- Lead the SkyServices Team
- Responsible for a P&L of the organization as a whole
- Maintain margin targets globally
- Working closely with peers in the organization including Support, Engineering, PreSales and Sales
- Build out and Improve Repeatable Processes for the SkyServices Team while coordinating similar processes across the Customer Success organization
- Mentor regional team leads/managers to grow their teams and develop their resources
- Hire, mentor, and retain top talent across the globe
- Oversee ample coverage and overlapping schedules across the globe to create and maintain 24x7x365 coverage
- Prepare your team for significant growth
- Design appropriate Dashboards and reporting; outlining team performance for leadership team
- Participate in the community by blogging and other social media
- Ability to travel internationally for company-related meetings
- Act as a customer advocate
- Investigate incidents and help prepare RCAs
- Help improve practices and common methodologies for all Sky Services related teams
- Previous experience leading and scaling managed services or delivering professional services internationally
- Passion for serving customers and solving technical problems
- Strong understanding of Customer Success and operational metrics such as net retention rate, POCs signed, Onboarding time, time-to-value, customer satisfaction and on-time completion of projects.
- Very strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Experience leading distributed teams
- Strong project management and project delivery skills
- Comfortable working remotely (equipment provided)
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
Bonus Experience and Skills
- Experience with MariaDB or another Database Technology
- Previous experience working in a support or presales role
- Proficient with multiple backup utilities (mydumper, MariaDB Backup, Xtrabackup, mysqldump, etc.)
- Contributions to open-source software in the MariaDB/MySQL ecosystem
- Experience with other MariaDB products such as MaxScale, ColumnStore, Cluster/Galera, Xpand, Clustrix, etc
- Operational knowledge (e.g. Data Loading, Querying, Performance Tuning, Architecture) of analytical databases: Greenplum, Netezza, Redshift, Vertica, Teradata, Clickhouse, Spark, HBase, Cassandra, MariaDB Columnstore
- Experience in a 24×7×365 support environment
North America (Remote)
What’s in it for you?
Impact the world of technology by pushing the boundaries of technology and business models, working at MariaDB. Be part of a game-changing organization that encourages outside-the-box thinking, empowerment, and is truly shaping the future of the software industry. You’ll be collaborating with high-caliber colleagues around the world, offering unparalleled learning and growth opportunities. We provide a very competitive compensation package, 25 days paid annual leave (plus holidays), stock options, a massive degree of flexibility and freedom, and more.
How to Apply
Submit your application here.
MariaDB does not sponsor work visas or relocation.
MariaDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MariaDB is an equal opportunity employer.