MariaDB is making a big impact on the world. Whether you’re checking your bank account, buying a coffee, shopping online, making a phone call, listening to music, taking out a loan or ordering takeout – MariaDB is the backbone of applications used everyday. Companies small and large, including 75% of the Fortune 500, run MariaDB, touching the lives of billions of people. With massive reach through Linux distributions, enterprise deployments and public clouds, MariaDB is uniquely positioned as the leading database for modern application development.
The MariaDB Xpand team is solving one of the most difficult open problems in the software database industry today: scaling SQL. We have our own distributed relational database, built from the ground up with a shared-nothing architecture, distributed query execution and automatic data distribution.
As our customer base grows, both in number and in size of deployment, so too has the performance demands on our product and our staff. The clusters are getting bigger, databases are growing larger and workloads are growing more complex. We are looking for a Senior Performance Engineer to join our team who can lead performance investigations that push the limits of our technology.
Here are some of the reasons why MariaDB is a great place to work:
- Our Xpand team is small, so you will own significant projects and contribute in a big way to the product
- We have a lot of interesting problems to work on, in a variety of areas
- Our customers love us; we help them do things they could never do with their legacy SQL databases
- We are passionate about making our software work better and faster
As a member of our Performance Engineering team, you will:
- Design and implement a testing framework to fulfill our performance studies
- Work on measurement and analysis tools once they are needed
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to help profile performance and scalability, identify areas for improvement and influence changes to the database
- Work on a variety of workloads ranging from traditional OLTP and decision support performance benchmarks, to more complex, evolving hybrid transaction and analytical processing workloads
- Work closely with sales engineering and support teams to do deep-dive and root cause analysis of key customer performance issues
- Work in conjunction with marketing and sales to investigate the competitive performance of our product, resulting in potential technical blog posts for either internal or external publication
- Practical experience with optimizing databases running in Kubernetes
- Practical experience with creating and running databases in Docker
- Deep knowledge of optimizing the Linux operating system for best performance for databases
- Knowledge of database performance benchmarks, measurement and analysis
- Practical experience with setting up performance infrastructure which includes Prometheus, Grafana and Jenkins
- Programming skills using Python
Bonus Experience and Skills
- Knowledge and understanding of cloud database or data integration technologies
- Track record working effectively with internal, partner and customer teams
- Meets/exceeds MariaDB’s sales team requirements
- Meets/exceeds MariaDB’s functional/technical depth for this role
This position can be based at MariaDB headquarters in Redwood City, CA or remote (with significant overlap with PST).
What’s in It for You?
Impact the world of technology by pushing the boundaries of technology and business models, working at MariaDB. Be part of a game-changing organization that encourages outside-the-box thinking, values empowerment, and is truly shaping the future of the software industry. You’ll be collaborating with high-caliber colleagues around the world, offering unparalleled learning and growth opportunities. We provide a very competitive compensation package, 25 days paid annual leave (plus holidays), stock options, a massive degree of flexibility and freedom, and more.
How to Apply
Submit your application here.
MariaDB does not sponsor work visas or relocation.
MariaDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MariaDB is an equal opportunity employer.