MariaDB is making a big impact on the world. Whether you’re checking your bank account, buying a coffee, shopping online, making a phone call, listening to music, taking out a loan or ordering takeout – MariaDB is the backbone of applications used everyday. Companies small and large, including 75% of the Fortune 500, run MariaDB, touching the lives of billions of people. With massive reach through Linux distributions, enterprise deployments and public clouds, MariaDB is uniquely positioned as the leading database for modern application development.
MariaDB Xpand is the distributed SQL offering of MariaDB and is solving one of the most difficult open problems in the software database industry today: scaling transactional workloads. We’ve built our own distributed relational database from the ground up and integrated with MariaDB. Now we’re looking for smart and motivated folks to join our small team of developers and take this technology to the next level.
We work on:
- C codebase with a custom standard library
- Database fundamentals: B-trees, logging, and recovery, MVCC
- A rule-based, cost-based query planner with top-down optimization similar to Cascades Framework
- An MPP, distributed database with unique query planning challenges that are more complicated (and more interesting) than a single node database
As a member of the Xpand development team, you will be responsible for subsystem design, design reviews, and of course, portions of the implementation. You should be an experienced C developer and be comfortable with development of concurrent systems in an asynchronous programming model.
We are looking for individuals who are interested in working on:
Systems Design and Implementation
- Distributed Group Membership and Reliable Communication
- Distributed Concurrency Control and Transaction Management (2PL, MVCC, 2PC)
- Distributed Lock Management and Distributed Deadlock Detection
- Fault Tolerance in Distributed Systems
- High Concurrency B-Tree Implementation
Database Query Processing/Optimization and Language Design
- Distributed Query Planning and Optimization
- Design and Implementation of Rule-Based Languages (Prolog/Datalog)
- Compiler Design, Implementation, and Optimization
- SQL Parser Implementation
- Columnar Databases and/or Analytics
Network Protocol Design and Implementation
- Design and Development of High-Performance Protocol Stacks
- Experience with Asynchronous Programming models
Bonus Experience and Skills
- Distributed database development
- File System Development
- Unix/Linux/BSD Kernel and Systems Development
- Large Scale Systems Architecture and Implementation
- Understanding of database QoS technologies
- Experience working in virtualized (cloud) environments
- 5-10 years of prior experience in systems development
- Excellent technical communication skills, the ability to elaborate complex technical concepts and collaborate effectively with fellow engineers
- Language requirement: English, our corporate language
- Problem-solving mindset
- A passion for high-quality software and ability to work with a small team in a distributed company
Seattle, Washington, or remote and able to work the majority of the time on pacific time zone schedule
What’s in It for You?
Impact the world of technology by pushing the boundaries of technology and business models, working at MariaDB. Be part of a game-changing organization that encourages outside-the-box thinking, values empowerment, and is truly shaping the future of the software industry. You’ll be collaborating with high-caliber colleagues around the world, offering unparalleled learning and growth opportunities. We provide a very competitive compensation package, 25 days paid annual leave (plus holidays), stock options, a massive degree of flexibility and freedom, and more.
How to Apply
Submit your application here.
MariaDB does not sponsor work visas or relocation.
MariaDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MariaDB is an equal opportunity employer.