MariaDB is making a big impact on the world. Whether you’re checking your bank account, buying a coffee, shopping online, making a phone call, listening to music, taking out a loan or ordering takeout – MariaDB is the backbone of applications used everyday. Companies small and large, including 75% of the Fortune 500 run MariaDB, touching the lives of billions of people. With massive reach through Linux distributions, enterprise deployments and public clouds, MariaDB is uniquely positioned as the leading database for modern application development.
The MariaDB Xpand team is solving one of the most difficult open problems in the software database industry today: scaling SQL. We have our own distributed relational database, built from the ground up with a shared nothing architecture, distributed query execution, and automatic data distribution.
As our customer base grows, both in number and in size of deployment, so too has the performance demands on our product and our staff. The clusters are getting bigger, databases are growing larger, and workloads are growing more complex. We are looking for a Senior Performance Engineer to join our team who can lead performance investigations which push the limits of our technology.
As a member or our Performance Engineering Team:
- You will own defining test strategies and designing and implementing measurement and analysis tools needed in our performance studies.
- You will work collaboratively with other engineering teams to help profile performance and scalability, identify areas for improvement, and influence changes to the database.
- You will work on a variety of workloads ranging from traditional OLTP and decision support performance benchmarks, to more complex, evolving hybrid transaction and analytical processing workloads.
- You will work closely with sales engineering and support teams to do deep-dive and root cause analysis of key customer performance issues.
- You will work in conjunction with marketing and sales to investigate the competitive performance of our product resulting in potential technical blog posts for either internal or external publication.
Do you have passion for performance engineering? Do you like to push the limits of the performance of a database product? Do you have the mindset of a scientist? Do you like to discover knowledge through controlled experimentation?
- Knowledge of Linux operating system and familiarity with bash shell programing skills.
- Knowledge of database systems and familiarity with the SQL query language.
- Programming skills using C, Python and/or Java.
- Knowledge of database performance benchmarks, measurement and analysis.
- Familiarity with applications and their interaction with databases is a major plus
What’s in it for you?
Impact the world of technology by pushing the boundaries of technology and business models, working at MariaDB. Be part of a game-changing organization that encourages outside-the-box thinking, empowerment, and is truly shaping the future of the software industry. You’ll be collaborating with high-caliber colleagues around the world, offering unparalleled learning and growth opportunities. We provide a very competitive compensation package, 25 days paid annual leave (plus holidays), stock options, a massive degree of flexibility and freedom, and more.
Here are some of the reasons why you’ll enjoy being a part of the Xpand team:
- Our team is small, so you will own significant projects and contribute in a big way to the product.
- We have a lot of interesting problems to work on, in a variety of areas.
- Our customers love us. We help them do things they could never do with their legacy SQL databases.
- We are passionate about making our software work better and faster
Redwood City, CA or remote (with significant overlap with PST)
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please apply here.
MariaDB does not sponsor work visas or relocation.
MariaDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MariaDB is an equal opportunity employer.