The CLI Catalog functions are so called because they involve implicit searches
of the metadata — what in pre-SQL-92 days was known as
the system catalog. Nowadays the metadata is in
functions, and the
INFORMATION_SCHEMA Views which provides most of the
information for them, are:
You should study Catalog functions if:
- Your problem matches the limited range of ad-hoc solutions offered here.
- They're the standard in your shop.
- You're maintaining an old ODBC program.
- Your DBMS doesn't support
- You want to see what extremely long
SELECTstatements look like.
Otherwise, study the description of the
INFORMATION_SCHEMA in Chapter 16
"SQL Catalogs" and use the simple mechanisms you already know. It's cleaner to
SELECT from a View in