What is MariaDB 10.0?
You are viewing an old version of this article. View the current version here.
|7 Nov 2013||MariaDB 10.0.5||Beta||Release Notes||Changelog|
|16 Aug 2013||MariaDB 10.0.4||Alpha||Release Notes||Changelog|
|11 Jun 2013||MariaDB 10.0.3||Alpha||Release Notes||Changelog|
|24 Apr 2013||MariaDB 10.0.2||Alpha||Release Notes||Changelog|
|6 Feb 2013||MariaDB 10.0.1||Alpha||Release Notes||Changelog|
|12 Nov 2012||MariaDB 10.0.0||Alpha||Release Notes||Changelog|
MariaDB 10.0 is the development version of MariaDB. It is built on the MariaDB 5.5 series with backported features from MySQL 5.6 and entirely new features not found anywhere else.
Blog posts with details of the reasoning behind calling this version MariaDB 10:
Features that are in a release, or in the source tree on launchpad.
- Global Transaction ID (MDEV-26)
- Multi source replication (MDEV-253) — Original code from Taobao, developed by Peng Lixun.
- Cassandra storage engine (MDEV-4695)
- CONNECT storage engine (MDEV-4146)
- Better table discovery. Sequence storage engine. Assisted discovery in FederatedX (MDEV-3808)
- Spider storage engine
- TokuDB storage engine
- Engine independent table statistics (MDEV-3806)
- Subquery optimizations: EXISTS-to-IN optimization, (MDEV-38 - NOT EXISTS to IN), MDEV-537, MDEV-3862
- Histogram-based statistics for non-indexed columns (MDEV-4145)
- SHOW EXPLAIN command (MDEV-165)
- EXPLAIN in the slow query log (explain-in-the-slow-query-log) (MDEV-407)
- Per thread memory usage (MDEV-4011). — Original code from Taobao, developed by Peng Lixun.
information_schema.processlisthas two new columns:
SHOW STATUShas a new variable:
- SHOW PLUGINS SONAME 'XXX' (MDEV-3807)
- SHUTDOWN statement (MDEV-4660)
- Killing a query by query id, not thread id (MDEV-4911)
- Faster UNIQUE key generation with ALTER TABLE (MDEV-539)
- Implement async commit checkpoint in InnoDB and XtraDB (MDEV-532)
- Support for atomic writes on FusionIO DirectFS (MDEV-4338)
DELETE ... RETURNING(MDEV-3814)
- IF (NOT) EXIST clauses for ALTER TABLE (MDEV-318)
- Dynamic columns now support names (MDEV-377, summary of changes)
- multiple use locks (GET_LOCK) in one connection (MDEV-3917)
- Better error messages (all error numbers now include a descriptive text what the number means)
- table attributes with sysvar as a default value (MDEV-4022)
- regular expression enhancements
- new regular expression library with modern features (PCRE)
- new functions REGEXP_REPLACE, REGEXP_INSTR, REGEXP_SUBSTR.
- Roles (MDEV-4397)
New Features Re-implemented from a similar MySQL feature
- CURRENT_TIMESTAMP as DEFAULT for DATETIME columns (MDEV-452)
- EXPLAIN for INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE (MDEV-3798, MWL#51)
New Features Backported from MySQL 5.6
- New InnoDB — from MySQL 5.6.10 in MariaDB 10.0.4 onwards
- Performance schema — from MySQL 5.6.10 in MariaDB 10.0.4 onwards
- Optimized read only transaction (for InnoDB). This includes support for TRANSACTION READ ONLY.
- Filesort optimization for queries using the
ORDER BY ... LIMIToptimization - A useful optimization for showing only a few rows of a bigger result set. (MDEV-4026)
- backport --plugin-load-add (MDEV-3860)
- Online ALTER TABLE (MDEV-3933)
- privileges on temporary tables
- character set related extenstions
- GET DIAGNOSTICS
- Temporal literals (such as
The following features may or may not be in 10.0. It depends on if we can find a sponsors for these or if someone in the community will help us with developing them:
Content reproduced on this site is the property of its respective owners, and this content is not reviewed in advance by MariaDB. The views, information and opinions expressed by this content do not necessarily represent those of MariaDB or any other party.