Changes and Improvements in MariaDB 10.8
You are viewing an old version of this article. View the current version here.
- New Features & Improvements
- Security Vulnerabilities Fixed in MariaDB 10.8
- List of All MariaDB 10.8 Releases
MariaDB 10.8 is a current development branch.
New Features & Improvements
Stored Procedures INOUT Parameters
- Stored procedures already have support for the IN, OUT and INOUT parameter qualifiers. Added as well for stored functions and (IN only) cursors (MDEV-10654). This was a contribution by ManoharKB.
Lag free ALTER TABLE in replication
- Normally, ALTER TABLE gets fully executed on the primary first and only then it is replicated and starts executing on replicas. With this feature
ALTER TABLEgets replicated and starts executing on replicas when it starts executing on the primary, not when it finishes. This way the replication lag caused by a heavy
ALTER TABLEcan be completely eliminated (MDEV-11675).
- Individual columns in the index can now be explicitly sorted in the ascending or descending order. This can be useful for optimizing certain ORDER BY cases (MDEV-13756, MDEV-26938, MDEV-26939, MDEV-26996).
InnoDB redo log improvements
- autosize innodb_buffer_pool_chunk_size (MDEV-25342).
- Improve the redo log for concurrency (MDEV-14425).
- Histograms in the statistics tables are more precise and stored as JSON, not binary (MDEV-21130, MDEV-26519, blog post).
Spider Storage Engine Improvements
- This was mostly internal refactoring work. As a result one can now declare Spider connections using the
REMOTE_TABLEattributes and not abuse the
COMMENTfield for that. This works both for the whole table and per partition (MDEV-5271, MDEV-27106).
- Add an optional argument to the CRC32() function, as well as the CRC32C() function, which uses the Castagnoli polynomial. (MDEV-27208). Note: The order of the 2-ary arguments was swapped after the preview release:
- Deprecate the keep_files_on_create variable (MDEV-23570).
- my_print_defaults now handles
--default-*options in exactly the same way as other MariaDB tools (MDEV-26238).
- UCA collations are now notably faster (MDEV-27266, MDEV-27265).
mysqlbinlog GTID support
- mariadb-binlog (or
mysqlbinlogas it was called back when the task was created) now supports both filtering events by GTID ranges through
--stop-position,and validating a binary log's ordering of GTIDs through
Windows - Improved i18n support
- On newer versions of Windows (Windows 10 1903 or later), the
mariadbclient defaults to the utf8mb4 character set. Several problems with Unicode input and output in client were fixed. Command line utilities now accept all Unicode characters in user names, database names, file names etc (in the past, characters were restricted to the current ANSI codepage).
- For a list of all new variables, see System Variables Added in MariaDB 10.8 and Status Variables Added in MariaDB 10.8.
The following deprecated variables have been removed :
List of All MariaDB 10.8 Releases
Content reproduced on this site is the property of its respective owners, and this content is not reviewed in advance by MariaDB. The views, information and opinions expressed by this content do not necessarily represent those of MariaDB or any other party.