MariaDB 10.5.2 Release Notes
Release date: 26 Mar 2020
MariaDB 10.5 is the current development series of MariaDB. It is an evolution of MariaDB 10.4 with several entirely new features not found anywhere else and with backported and reimplemented features from MySQL.
Do not use beta releases in production!
Thanks, and enjoy MariaDB!
Notable changes of this release include:
- RELEASE_ALL_LOCKS (MDEV-10569)
- ALTER TABLE ... RENAME INDEX / KEY (MDEV-7318)
- ALTER TABLE ... RENAME COLUMN (MDEV-16290)
- Recursive CTE cycle detection using CYCLE clause (MDEV-20632)
- ALTER TABLE and RENAME TABLE now support
- Split SUPER privilege to smaller privileges (MDEV-21743). New privileges were added so that more fine grained tuning of what each user can do can be applied:
- The REPLICATION CLIENT privilege was renamed to BINLOG MONITOR. The old syntax is understood for compatibility (MDEV-21743).
- The SHOW MASTER STATUS statement was renamed to SHOW BINLOG STATUS (MDEV-21743). The old syntax is understood for compatibility.
- A number of statements changed the privileges that they require. The old privileges were historically inappropriately chosen in the upstream. 10.5.2 fixes this problem. Note, these changes are incompatible to previous versions. A number of GRANT commands might be needed after upgrade.
- SHOW BINLOG EVENTS now requires the BINLOG MONITOR privilege (required REPLICATION SLAVE prior to 10.5.2).
- SHOW SLAVE HOSTS now requires the REPLICATION MASTER ADMIN privilege (required REPLICATION SLAVE prior to 10.5.2).
- SHOW SLAVE STATUS now requires the REPLICATION SLAVE ADMIN or the SUPER privilege (required REPLICATION CLIENT or SUPER prior to 10.5.2).
- SHOW RELAYLOG EVENTS now requires the REPLICATION SLAVE ADMIN privilege (required REPLICATION SLAVE prior to 10.5.2).
- In order to help the server understand which version a privilege record was written by, the mysql.global_priv.priv field contains a new JSON field,
- SHOW PRIVILEGES now correctly lists the
Delete historyprivilege, rather than displaying it as
Delete versioning rows. (MDEV-20382)
- An upgrade will only be possible after a clean shutdown. mariabackup --prepare will not work with backups taken before version 10.5.2.
- Efficient InnoDB redo log record format (MDEV-12353)
- Deprecate and ignore innodb_scrub_log and innodb_scrub_log_speed (MDEV-21870)
- Remove INFORMATION_SCHEMA.INNODB_TABLESPACES_SCRUBBING table and deprecate and ignore innodb-background-scrub-data-uncompressed, innodb-background-scrub-data-compressed, innodb-background-scrub-data-interval and innodb-background-scrub-data-check-interval (MDEV-15528)
- Deprecate and ignore innodb_log_files_in_group (MDEV-14425)
- Do not acquire InnoDB record locks when covering table locks exist (MDEV-14479)
- Issue a message on changing deprecated innodb_log_files_in_group (MDEV-21990)
- Optimize append only files for NVDIMM (MDEV-17084)
- Improve innodb redo log group commit performance (MDEV-21534)
- Punch holes when pages are freed (MDEV-15528)
- Allow packed sort keys in sort buffer (MDEV-21580)
- Merge 5.7 P_S transaction instrumentation and tables (MDEV-16435)
- Merge 5.7 P_S memory instrumentation and tables (MDEV-16431)
- Merge 5.7 P_S mdl instrumentation and tables (MDEV-16432)
- Merge 5.7 P_S sxlocks instrumentation and tables (MDEV-16436)
- Merge 5.7 P_S user variables instrumentation and tables (MDEV-16439)
- Merge 5.7 P_S [show] status instrumentation and tables (MDEV-16438)
- Merge 5.7 P_S ps instrumentation and tables (MDEV-16433)
- Merge 5.7 P_S sp instrumentation and tables (MDEV-16434)
- All binaries previously beginning with
mysqlnow begin with
mariadb, with symlinks for the corresponding
- Galera wsrep library updated to 26.4.4
- Galera Cluster Node During IST gets stuck going from "Synced" to "Joining:..." (MDEV-21002)
- HeidiSQL updated to 11.0 (MDEV-22032)
- require_secure_transport system variable, for rejecting connections attempted using insecure transport (MDEV-13362)
- sql_if_exists session system variable, which adds an implicit IF EXISTS to ALTER, RENAME and DROP of TABLES, VIEWS, FUNCTIONS and PACKAGES. (MDEV-19964)
- XA PREPARE transactions must survive client disconnection (MDEV-742)
- Binary tarball size has been reduced (MDEV-21943)
Do not use beta releases in production!
Be notified of new MariaDB Server, Galera Cluster and Connector releases automatically by subscribing to the MariaDB Foundation community announce 'at' mariadb.org announcement list (this is a low traffic, announce-only list). MariaDB Corporation customers will be notified for all new releases, security issues and critical bug fixes for all MariaDB Corporation products thanks to the Notification Services.
MariaDB may already be included in your favorite OS distribution. More information can be found on the Distributions which Include MariaDB page.