Comments - Problem with the Galera wsrep_sst_method xtrabackup-v2
Content reproduced on this site is the property of its respective owners, and this content is not reviewed in advance by MariaDB. The views, information and opinions expressed by this content do not necessarily represent those of MariaDB or any other party.
This could be due to some issue on the donor node. Check out the donor log for any error. You can even share it here, if you do not see anything obvious.
Thanks for helping. The full output from the doner is further below. I saw this message:
I tested to be sure that I could connect as root on the local server on the doner node:
I put the value for the password (NotTheRealPassword) in the .my.cnf file on the second node, cleaned out the directories on the second node and tried again. I got the exact same error: Here are all the lines from the doner log from the time I try to start the second node until it fails:
Do you also have "password" under the client section in your donor's my.cnf? If so, that could be the problem.
This issue was fixed in MariaDB 10.1.12.
I upgraded the donor node to 10.1.12 and tested xtrabackup 2.4.1 with a full backup to disk. I did a clean install of 10.1.12 on the second node and tried to start it. I'm still getting errors. I'll paste the logs below. I then decided to try switching from wsrep_sst_method=xtrabackup-v2 to wsrep_sst_method=rsync. This worked OK and synched the second node up with the donor node. For now, I'm planning to add the third node and do some benchmarking. I plan to come back to testing with wsrep_sst_method=xtrabackup-v2. Below are the mysqld logs from the failed attempt to sync with xtrabackup:
If you still didn't find the solution I suggest reporting as a bug - they can see if it's repeatable at least, and if not perhaps find help find out why it's failing in your case.
Just want to let you know that we did solve the problem. I will be repeating the tests that I performed with rsync using xtrabackup now. To fix the xtrabackup problem, we had two issues:
wsrep_sst_xtrabackup-v2. We added a couple lines
<< after this line we added 2 lines below:
Here are the contents of our .local file:
OK, as information, I've been doing performance testing with the Galera cluster that I created using rsync instead of xtrabackup. I do want to get back to the xtrabackup. I noticed that the socat utility that is required for xtrabackup was not correctly installed. I'm not sure if this might be my problem. In order to test xtrabackup, I have to tear down all nodes except primary and rebuild with xtrabackup. Since I'm in the middle of my performance testing, I'll have to wait before I can get back to the xtrabackup testing. When I get back to the xtrabackup testing and if I cannot fix the xtrabackup problem by fixing the socat install, then I'll submit a bug as you suggest.