Here is a list of recommended books on MariaDB and MySQL. We've provided links to Amazon.com here for convenience, but they can be found at many other bookstores, both online and off.
If you want to have your favorite MySQL / MariaDB book listed here, please leave a comment.
For MariaDB / MySQL end users
- MariaDB Cookbook by Daniel Bartholomew, March 2014
- Getting Started with MariaDB by Daniel Bartholomew, October 2013
- A beginner's guide to MariaDB. No prior MariaDB or MySQL experience necessary.
- MariaDB Crash Course by Ben Forta, September 2011
- First MariaDB book.
- For people who want to learn SQL and the basics of MariaDB.
- SQL-99 Complete, Really by Peter Gulutzan & Trudy Pelzer, March 1999
- Everything you wanted to know about the SQL 99 standard. Excellent reference book.
- Free to read in the Knowledge Base.
- MySQL (5th Edition) by Paul DuBois, April 2013
- The 'default' book to read if you want to learn to use MySQL / MariaDB.
- MySQL Cookbook by Paul DuBois, November 2006
- A lot of examples of how to use MySQL. As with all of Paul's books, it's worth its weight in gold and even enjoyable reading for such a 'dry' subject.
- High Performance MySQL, Second Edition, By Baron Schwartz, Peter Zaitsev, Vadim Tkachenko, Jeremy D. Zawodny, Arjen Lentz, Derek J. Balling, et al, January 2008
- "High Performance MySQL is the definitive guide to building fast, reliable systems with MySQL. Written by noted experts with years of real-world experience building very large systems, this book covers every aspect of MySQL performance in detail, and focuses on robustness, security, and data integrity. Learn advanced techniques in depth so you can bring out MySQL's full power." (From the book description at O'Reilly)
- MySQL Admin Cookbook by Daniel Schneller, March 2010
- A quick step-by-step guide for MySQL users and database administrators to tackle real-world challenges with MySQL configuration and administration
For developers who want to code on MariaDB or MySQL
- Understanding MySQL Internals by Sasha Pachev, former MySQL developer at MySQL AB, April 2007
- This is the only book we know about that describes the internals of MariaDB / MySQL. A must have for anyone who wants to understand and develop on MariaDB!
- Not all topics are covered and some parts are slightly outdated, but still the best book on this topic.
- MySQL 5.1 Plugin Development by Sergei Golubchik and Andrew Hutching, August 2010
- A must read for anyone wanting to write a plugin for MariaDB, written by the Sergei who designed the plugin interface for MySQL and MariaDB!