What is MariaDB Galera Cluster?
MariaDB Galera Cluster is a virtually synchronous multi-primary cluster for MariaDB. It is available on Linux only, and only supports the InnoDB storage engine (although there is experimental support for MyISAM and, from MariaDB 10.6, Aria. See the wsrep_replicate_myisam system variable, or, from MariaDB 10.6, the wsrep_mode system variable).
- Virtually synchronous replication
- Active-active multi-primary topology
- Read and write to any cluster node
- Automatic membership control, failed nodes drop from the cluster
- Automatic node joining
- True parallel replication, on row level
- Direct client connections, native MariaDB look & feel
The above features yield several benefits for a DBMS clustering solution, including:
- No replica lag
- No lost transactions
- Read scalability
- Smaller client latencies
The Getting Started with MariaDB Galera Cluster page has instructions on how to get up and running with MariaDB Galera Cluster.
MariaDB Galera Cluster is powered by:
- MariaDB Server.
- The Galera wsrep provider library.
The functionality of MariaDB Galera Cluster can be obtained by installing the standard MariaDB Server packages and the Galera wsrep provider library package. The following Galera version corresponds to each MariaDB Server version:
- In MariaDB 10.4 and later, MariaDB Galera Cluster uses Galera 4. This means that the wsrep API version is 26 and the Galera wsrep provider library is version 4.X.
- In MariaDB 10.3 and before, MariaDB Galera Cluster uses Galera 3. This means that the wsrep API is version 25 and the Galera wsrep provider library is version 3.X.
See Deciphering Galera Version Numbers for more information about how to interpret these version numbers.
Galera 4 Versions
The following table lists each version of the Galera 4 wsrep provider, and it lists which version of MariaDB each one was first released in. If you would like to install Galera 4 using yum, apt, or zypper, then the package is called
|Galera Version||Released in MariaDB Version|
|26.4.14||10.10.3, 10.9.5, 10.8.7, 10.7.8, 10.6.12, 10.5.19, 10.4.28|
|26.4.13||10.10.2, 10.9.4, 10.8.6, 10.7.7, 10.6.11, 10.5.18, 10.4.27|
|26.4.12||10.10.1, 10.9.2, 10.8.4, 10.7.5, 10.6.9, 10.5.17, 10.4.26|
|26.4.11||10.8.1, 10.7.2, 10.6.6, 10.5.14, 10.4.22|
|26.4.9||10.6.4, 10.5.12, 10.4.21|
|26.4.8||10.6.1, 10.5.10, 10.4.19|
Galera 3 Versions
The following table lists each version of the Galera 3 wsrep provider, and it lists which version of MariaDB each one was first released in. If you would like to install Galera 3 using yum, apt, or zypper, then the package is called