MariaDB Galera Cluster is a synchronous multi-master cluster for MariaDB. It is available on Linux only, and only supports the XtraDB/InnoDB storage engines (although there is experimental support for MyISAM - see the wsrep_replicate_myisam system variable).
- Synchronous replication
- Active-active multi-master topology
- Read and write to any cluster node
- Automatic membership control, failed nodes drop from the cluster
- Automatic node joining
- True parallel replication, on row level
- Direct client connections, native MySQL look & feel
The above features yield several benefits for a DBMS clustering solution, including:
- No slave lag
- No lost transactions
- Both read and write scalability
- Smaller client latencies
MariaDB Galera Cluster uses the Galera library for the replication implementation. To interface with Galera replication, we have enhanced MariaDB to support the replication API definition in the wsrep API project.
The implementation of the replication API in MariaDB happens in the open source MySQL-wsrep project.