MariaDB is making a big impact on the world. Whether you’re checking your bank account, buying a coffee, shopping online, making a phone call, listening to music, taking out a loan or ordering takeout – MariaDB is the backbone of applications used everyday. Companies small and large, including 75% of the Fortune 500, run MariaDB, touching the lives of billions of people. With massive reach through Linux distributions, enterprise deployments and public clouds, MariaDB is uniquely positioned as the leading database for modern application development.
This position can be fully remote or be based out of one of our offices in Redwood City or San Diego, CA or Austin, TX. The role is focused on leading engineering efforts related to the infrastructure layer of the MariaDB SkySQL service with a strong focus on Azure while also supporting AWS and GCP. This position requires excellent technical architecture and project management skills in addition to hands-on development work. We will look to you for innovative ideas to boost the performance, reliability and security of our database products in public cloud deployments.
MariaDB is a globally distributed company, relying upon telecommuting via the internet and heavy use of email, web, Slack and similar technologies. Because we must provide coverage to our customers 24x7x365, this position does occasionally involve on-call work on nights, weekends and holidays, however, we leverage our global team to minimize the impact as much as possible.
- Collaborate with Product, Engineering, SRE, QA and Support and architects in designing highly secure and scalable infrastructure
- Implement high quality, secure and robust applications with optimal performance in a fast-paced environment
- Work on providing a highly automated cloud-based runtime environment for deploying and scaling a distributed, multi-tenant, high performance compute platform
- Develop tools to facilitate greater automation and operability of services
- Design and build net-new production-grade environments for advanced transactional and analytical workloads
- Plan, lead and execute complicated technical projects that interact with a wide variety of teams within the company
- Utilize your deep experience and problem-solving skills to help prevent and investigate production issues
- Lead and mentor junior team members
- Self-motivated and able to work autonomously
- Effectively collaborate with other engineers remotely
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills
- Experience supporting PaaS, IaaS, DBaaS, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of Kubernetes, Docker, etc.
- Significant experience with Azure, including design, implementation and maintenance of large-scale environments (experience with additional public clouds – AWS, GCP, etc. is a plus)
- Working knowledge of infrastructure-as-code software tools such as Terraform/Ansible and a demonstrated implementation
- Strong automation programming skills; must have CS fundamentals and a track record of implementing highly reliable software
- In-depth understanding of networking, Linux, distributed systems, cloud design patterns, APIs and security
- Ability to work on complicated projects with multiple stages and convert long-term strategy into short and long-term objectives
Bonus Experience and Skills
- Previous experience working remotely
- Contributions to open source software
- Extensive experience with multiple public cloud vendors
- Kubernetes certification
- Docker certification
- Google Cloud, AWS and/or Azure certification
- Previous leadership experience
This position can be fully remote or be based out of one of our offices located in Redwood City or San Diego, CA or Austin, TX
What’s in It for You?
Impact the world of technology by pushing the boundaries of technology and business models, working at MariaDB. Be part of a game-changing organization that encourages outside-the-box thinking, values empowerment, and is truly shaping the future of the software industry. You’ll be collaborating with high-caliber colleagues around the world, offering unparalleled learning and growth opportunities. We provide a very competitive compensation package, 25 days paid annual leave (plus holidays), stock options, a massive degree of flexibility and freedom, and more.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please submit your application here.
MariaDB does not sponsor work visas or relocation.
MariaDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MariaDB is an equal opportunity employer.