MariaDB is making a big impact on the world. Whether you’re checking your bank account, buying a coffee, shopping online, making a phone call, listening to music, taking out a loan or ordering takeout – MariaDB is the backbone of applications used everyday. Companies small and large, including 75% of the Fortune 500 run MariaDB, touching the lives of billions of people. With massive reach through Linux distributions, enterprise deployments and public clouds, MariaDB is uniquely positioned as the leading database for modern application development.
Do you have a knack for automating anything you have to do more than twice? Do you love the challenge of helping solve new and interesting problems? Do you have a passion for databases, distributed systems, kubernetes or cloud services? If you answered yes, then you’ll love working on our Customer Engineering team at MariaDB.
As a Customer Engineer you are responsible for helping customers and prospects succeed with MariaDB, SkySQL and Xpand through automation and tooling. Our Customer Engineers act as Subject Matter Experts and customer advocates for key MariaDB products and services and need help to make their jobs easier, and our products easier and more friendly to use. You must be self-motivated and capable of working autonomously.
We are a “virtual” team, distributed globally, telecommuting via the Internet. We make heavy use of email, Slack, the web, ssh, jira, and similar “remote” technologies. Prior experience in this form of working environment is ideal.
- Architect and design, tooling and automation features
- Participate in the full software development lifecycle including programming, debugging, and creating new features
- Writing, debugging and testing code
- Requirements analysis
- Design, estimate, develop, test and document new features over the entire lifecycle from inception to publication.
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant experience
- A general understanding of RDBMS and/or noSQL internals and/or in-depth use of databases in application development
- Expert level Perl, Python and bash scripting
- Experience with open source development
- Good written and spoken communication skills in English
- Experience working remotely in geo-distributed teams
- Good knowledge of SQL, familiarity with important NoSQL concepts
- Good knowledge of tools like CMake, git
- Ability to document requirements and specifications
- Proficient with Linux
Bonus Experience and Skills
- Excellent communications skills
- Proficiency in software engineering tools, both enterprise, and open source C, C++, Java knowledge or experience
- Familiarity with modern cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, Kubernetes)
- Some experience interacting with customers, users, product managers, support personnel
- Familiarity with databases in the cloud
- Familiarity with systemd, SELinux
- Expert knowledge of MariaDB and MySQL, certifications recommended. Some working experience with an enterprise relational and/or analytical database.
- Previous experience working remotely
- Proficient with multiple backup utilities (mydumper, MariaDB Backup, Xtrabackup, mysqldump, etc.)
- Contributions to open-source software in the MariaDB/MySQL ecosystem such as MariaDB, Columnstore, MaxScale, Galera, client tools, percona toolkit, Orchestrator, ProxySQL, Anemometer, maatkit, online schema change scripts
- Experience with other MariaDB products such as MaxScale, ColumnStore, Cluster/Galera, Xpand, Clustrix, etc
Remote from anywhere
What’s in it for you?
Impact the world of technology by pushing the boundaries of technology and business models, working at MariaDB. Be part of a game-changing organization that encourages outside-the-box thinking, empowerment, and is truly shaping the future of the software industry. You’ll be collaborating with high-caliber colleagues around the world, offering unparalleled learning and growth opportunities. We provide a very competitive compensation package, 25 days paid annual leave (plus holidays), stock options, a massive degree of flexibility and freedom, and more.
How to Apply
Submit your application here.
MariaDB does not sponsor work visas or relocation.
MariaDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MariaDB is an equal opportunity employer.