News Articles about MariaDB
You are viewing an old version of this article. View the current version here.
Here are links to news reports and articles related to MariaDB, organised in reverse chronological order. You might also look at the Case Studies section.
- Is anyone faster than Devart? Support for MariaDB 10.3 is already in dbForge Studio - 25 June
- Take the Hassle out of MySQL and MariaDB Documenting with All-New dbForge Documenter for MySQL - 19 April
- MariaDB Databases with Superpowers: Reinvented dbForge Tools for MySQL - 16 April
- MariaDB ups the stakes in database war with Oracle - Channelworld, Scott Carey, 6 March
- MariaDB to launch Innovation Research labs - OpenSource, Syeda Beenish, 5 March
- Brytlyt Partners with MariaDB to Integrate its GPU Database Technology for Real-time Analytics - 26 February
- DBD-MariaDB created.
- Support for MariaDB 10.1, MariaDB 10.2, MariaDB Galera Cluster 10.0 Series in Updated dbForge Studio for MySQL 7.3 - Devart, 8 December
- MariaDB coming to Azure as Microsoft joins the MariaDB Foundation - Arstechnica, Peter Bright, 15 November
- Microsoft joins the MariaDB Foundation and launches Azure Database for MariaDB - Techcrunch, Frederic Lardinois, 15 November
- MariaDB Emerging as Default MySQL Option - Datanami, George Leopold, 20 June
- MariaDB replaces MySQL in new Debian release - iTWire, Sam Varghese, 19 June
- Debian devs dedicate new version 9 to the late Ian Murdock - Debian 9 released with MariaDB as default - The Register, Simon Sharwood, 18 June
- Alibaba on open source and cloud business in China – live from the MariaDB user conference - Diginomica, Jon Reed, 12 April
- MariaDB has been selected as Database of the Year in the Members’ Choice awards at LinuxQuestions.org for the fourth year running. - Linxquestions.org, 7 February
- MariaDB chants BI for the people, looney left or Arab Spring for data? - Computer Weekly, Adrian Bridgwater, 31 January
- Redesigned Object Editors and Database Search in dbForge Studio for MySQL/MariaDB 7.2 - Devart, 11 November
- MariaDB CTO: NoSQL database bubble to burst soon - Data Economy, João Marques Lima, 15 September
- MySQL daddy Widenius: Open-source religion won't feed MariaDB - The Register, August 24
- MySQL founder tries a new software licensing model - TechCrunch, August 19
- MariaDB continues growth through 2016 - ITWire, July 10
- Scrappy Database Upstart Says New Execs Will Help It Take on Oracle - Fortune, July 7
- Amazon RDS Now Supports MariaDB 10.1 - Amazon Web Service, June 1
- MariaDB targets big data analytics market with ColumnStore - CIO, April 5
- MariaDB Dropping In On IBM i To Replace MySQL - IT Jungle, Alex Woodie, April 4
- MariaDB has been selected as Database of the Year in the Members’ Choice awards at LinuxQuestions.org for the third year running. - Linxquestions.org, February 10
- MariaDB Corp raises $9m new funding, adds Monty Widenius as CTO - ZDNet, Steve Ranger, January 21
- MariaDB is Now Available on Amazon RDS - Amazon.com, Jeff Barr, October 7
- How Google encryption is helping tighten MariaDB security - zdnet.com, Toby Wolpe, September 16
- New Devart Delphi Data Access Components with a Support for MariaDB Embedded - Devart, September 10
- Devart Announced the First Release of dbForge Data Generator for MySQL, a GUI tool for MySQL and MariaDB test data for generation - Devart, September 1
- MariaDB Enhances Open Source Alternative to MySQL Databases - IT Business Edge, Mike Vizard, July 16
- MariaDB teams up with IBM and Canonical to reinvent the LAMP - The Inquirer, Chris Merriman, May 22
- Gartner: Relational open source databases come of age - IT World Canada, Danny Bradbury, April 27
- Google sticks anti-SQL injection vaccine into MySQL MariaDB fork - The Register, Gavin Clarke, April 9
- MariaDB Corp picks off speed bottlenecks and tightens anti-SQL injection measures - zdnet.com, Toby Wolpe, April 9
- Roxen Editorial Portal 5.5 is released with MariaDB support - Roxen was one of the first programs that supported MySQL and we are happy that they are still going strong and now supporting MariaDB! February 9
- Google contributes encryption to next MariaDB release - The Inquirer, Chris Merriman, January 29
- MariaDB speeds up database administration processes with MaxScale - The Inquirer, Alfonso Maruccia, January 15
- MariaDB had been honoured by IDG’s InfoWorld, as a recipient of the Best Open Source Data Center and Cloud Software award - October 28
- New dbForge Fusion for MySQL with Maria DB support - August 22 - Jordan Sanders
- Rackspace adds support for MariaDB 10 - July 28 - Neha Verma
- dbForge Studio for MySQL supports Sphinx Search Engine - July 23 - Jordan Sanders
- First MariaDB foundation conference - April 3 - Michael Widenius
- Case study: how Oracle licensing drove us into the arms of Maria - John Leonard, Feb 2014
- SkySQL aims for high-availability database clusters with MariaDB Enterprise - January 23 - Loek Essers
- 10 predictions for open source in 2014 mentions MariaDB - January 1 - Jack Wallen
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 beta arrives with MariaDB as its default database - December 11 - ZDNet - Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
- Oracle's nemesis MariaDB releases sleekest seal yet to beta - 11 November - Register - by Jack Clark
- MariaDB gets shot in the arm from Intel-led $20m SkySQL injection - 23 October 2013 - ZDNet - by Toby Wolpe
- Google swaps out MySQL, moves to MariaDB - 12 September 2013 - Register - by Jack Clark
- MariaDB close to cracking MySQL website speed issue - 24 May 2013 - ZDNet - by Toby Wolpe
- SkySQL-MariaDB merger: What should you expect? - 26 April 2013 - ZDNet - by Toby Wolpe
- Dead database walking: MySQL's creator on why the future belongs to MariaDB - 28 Mar 2013 - Computerworld - by Rohan Pearce
- MariaDB replaces MySQL in repositories - 25 Mar 2013 - archlinux.org - by Bartłomiej Piotrowski. Includes a migration example.
- Slackware is replacing MySQL with MariaDB - 23 Mar 2013 - "The big news here is the removal of MySQL in favor of MariaDB. This shouldn't really be a surprise on any level. The poll on LQ showed a large majority of our users were in favor of the change. It's my belief that the MariaDB Foundation will do a better job with the code, be more responsive to security concerns, and be more willing to work with the open source community."
- Replacing MySQL with MariaDB - 7 Mar 2013 - OpenLogic report helping enterprise users use opensource.
- MariaDB Set To Overthrow MySQL's Linux Reign - 14 Feb 2013 - tom's IT PRO by KASIA LORENC.
- Monty has last laugh as distros abandon MySQL - 04 Feb 2013 - ITWire by Sam Varghese. An opinion piece by Sam on how MariaDB is gaining popularity.
- Oracle who? Fedora & openSUSE will replace MySQL with MariaDB - 31 Jan 2013 - ZDNet by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols. Both Fedora and openSUSE will be replacing Oracle's MySQL with its open-source fork--MariaDB.
- Chakra Linux is moving to MariaDB - 31 Jan 2013. Posted by Neophytos Kolokotronis.
- Fedora 19: MariaDB instead of MySQL, but no Btrfs - 31 Jan 2013 - H-online - by fab. Story about how MariaDB is chosen over MySQL at the FESCO meeting.
- Connectors, controversy and the LGPL - 29 Jan 2013 - H-online - by Dj Walker-Morgan. Well rounded article about the connectors and why there should be no licensing controversy around it.
- openSUSE Dumps MySQL Makes MariaDB Default Database - 25 Jan 2013 - Muktware - by Swapnil Bhartiya
- OpenSUSE also considers switching from MySQL to MariaDB - 23 Jan 2013 - ZDNet - by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
- Fedora Linux considering switching out MySQL for MariaDB - 22 Jan 2013 - ZDNet - by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
- Fedora 19 Nixing MySQL in Favor of MariaDB - Slashdot - 22 Jan 2013
- Fedora Looks To Replace MySQL With MariaDB - 21 Jan 2013 - Phoronix - by Michael Larabel
- Don't Write Off Relational Databases For Big Data Just Yet - 21 Jan 2013 - readwrite - an article by Dmitry Sotnikov featuring opinions by Michael Widenius.
- If MySQL falters, what do you replace it with? - 20 December 2012 - an article by Robin Miller featuring MariaDB, SkySQL, and more.
- Wikipedia moving from MySQL to MariaDB - 17 December 2012 - an article by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols in ZDNet about the recent tests Wikipedia is doing to migrate to MariaDB.
- The MariaDB Foundation: A turning point for MySQL - 14 December 2012 - by Simon Phipps
- MariaDB 5.5 in production for English Wikipedia - 12 December 2012 - There is also a hacker news thread.
- Web Served, part 4: Get your database on - 11 December 2012 - by Lee Hutchinson
- MariaDB steps out from MySQL's shadow - 5 December 2012 - by Simon Phipps
- MySQL founders launch MariaDB Foundation at Oracle - 5 December 2012 - by Gavin Clarke
- Open-source MariaDB, a MySQL fork, challenges Oracle - 4 December 2012 - by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
- Network world tested 6 free databases, MariaDB wins the test - 3 December 2012
- New open source MariaDB drivers for C and Java - 29 November 2012
- Monty on broken MySQL promises: Oracle's going to fork it up - 29 November 2012 - an article by Gavin Clarke about Monty's thought's on Oracle's promises about MySQL to the EU.
- WiredTree Adds MariaDB for Faster MySQL Database Performance - 27 November 2012 - press release from WiredTree about why they've chosen MariaDB.
- The Epoch Times: Ireland the Source for Europe’s Techies - 17 October 2012 - by Martin Murphy. An interview conducted with Widenius while he was at the Dublin Web Summit.
- InfoQ: Cassandra Storage Engine for MariaDB - 10 October 2012 - by Jonathan Allen on the new CassandraSE storage engine.
- Forbes: Tokutek Makes Big Data Dance - 2 October 2012 - by Peter Cohan on Tokutek's new release which they make for MariaDB and MySQL.
- Oracle Claims MySQL IS Safe With Them - 27 September 2012 - by Simon Phipps
- Infor Collaborates with Red Hat - 26 September 2012 - by InfoR, on how they've chosen Red Hat & MariaDB.
- SkySQL launches Cloud SQL Suite and Enterprise Suite - 25 September 2012 -
- French government to use PostgreSQL and LibreOffice in free software adoption push - 25 September 2012 - in Computerworld UK by Peter Sayer. The important part is: "While the report clearly favors PostgreSQL for database applications, it recommends watching the future evolution of MySQL, MariaDB, SkySQL and the various "NoSQL" code bases."
- I-Programmer: Oracle Making MySQL Less Open - 20 August 2012 - by Kay Ewbank
- TechCrunch: Oracle Makes More Moves To Kill Open Source MySQL - 18 August 2012 - by Alex Williams. This article even brought down the MariaDB.org site for some time as we had to increase memory, CPU & bandwidth on the VM.
- SDTimes: Java goes inclusive - 17 August 2012 - by Alex Handy about how Java and MySQL are getting a little more closed.
- LWN: MariaDB: Disappearing test cases or did another part of MySQL just become closed source? - 17 August 2012 - by Jon Corbet
- MySQL vor unruhiger Zukunft - 13 August 2012 - in Computerwoche, in German, about SkySQL and MariaDB.
- The Hacking Business Model - 25 July 2012 - on Forbes.com about The Hacking Business Model & an interview with Michael "Monty" Widenius.
- First openSUSE 12.2 release candidate arrives - 13 July 2012 - on H-Online about openSUSE including MariaDB.
- Mageia Linux Is A Distro On The Rise - 4 July 2012 - on ComputerWorld by Katherine Noyes. Great quote: "Notably, this Linux distro makes use of MariaDB in place of Oracle's MySQL database."
- MySQL founder's latest MariaDB release takes "enterprise" features open-source - 13 April 2012 - on Ars Technica by Sean Gallagher
- MariaDB 5.5.23 com melhor desempenho - 13 April 2012 - in Brazilian Portuguese at Linux New Media
- MariaDB 5.5 Database is Generally Available (GA) and Ready for Critical Production Usage - 13 April 2012 - on Yahoo! news when the press release was made, also made it to SFGate newspaper.
- MariaDB 5.5.23 arrives with performance improvements - 12 April 2012 - by Christopher von Eitzen (crve) in H-online
- MariaDB/MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite3 - Comparing Command-Line Interfaces - 11 Apr 2012 - published in Linux Journal by Daniel Bartholomew
- “Metal as a Service” provisioning tool from Canonical in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Beta - 4 April 2012 by Canonical
- Parallels Summit 2012: The cloud world in 2022 - 16 February 2012 - choice quote: "He also believes the creator of MySQL’s latest offering, MariaDB, will continue to steal market share from its predecessor, thanks to lower costs and more advanced functionality." - Serguei Beloussov, Chairman & Chief Architect, Parallels
- Latinux Cluster is the project leader for the translation of MariaDB documentation - 29 December 2011 by the team at Latinux.
- Beyond MySQL - 25 Oct 2011 - on IBM developerWorks about alternatives to MySQL.
- Faster subqueries in MariaDB - 28 July 2011 by the editor of H-online Dj Walker-Morgan.
- MariaDB 5.3 beschleunigt Abfragen - 28 July 2011 - in German, "MariaDB 5.3 accelerates queries" by Jörg Thoma.
- OSCON Data attracts upstart DB companies - 28 July 2011
- MySQL Founder Announces MariaDB 5.3.0 Beta - 27 July 2011
- MariaDB 5.3.0 Beta Released with Large Number of Features & Additions - 26 July 2011 - SFGate: San Francisco Chronicle
- Press Release: MariaDB now available as a hosted database via Jelastic cloud platform - 26 July 2011 - MariaDB database as a service on Jelastic is now available. Jelastic is a Java-based platform as a service (PAAS) provider.
- Five Things You Need to Know About MySQL - 27 May 2011 - "MySQL will live on no matter what Oracle does."
- SkySQL, a technology company specializing in databases in Korea - 27 May 2011 - written in Korean, and has a focus on the SkySQL Roadshow in Korea. Includes a picture of Kaj Arno (speaking, SkySQL), Daniel Saito (SkySQL) and Colin Charles (Monty Program).
- MySQL/MariaDB related technology company SkySQL offers the best solution for Korea - 27 May 2011 - written in Korean, and has reference to the SkySQL Roadshow in Korea.
- NoSQL & MariaDB via Dynamic Columns - 27 May 2011 - written in Japanese, and refers to the dynamic columns feature in MariaDB.
Content reproduced on this site is the property of its respective owners, and this content is not reviewed in advance by MariaDB. The views, information and opinions expressed by this content do not necessarily represent those of MariaDB or any other party.