Recap of M|18, the MariaDB User Conference – Video Recordings Now Available
Thank you to everyone who joined us at our second annual MariaDB user conference, M|18, in New York City on February 26 and 27. DBAs, open source enthusiasts, engineers, executives and more from all over the world came together to explore and learn.
Couldn’t make the event or want to relive your favorite session?
- The welcome keynote from MariaDB’s CEO, Michael Howard, announced several new initiatives, including MariaDB Labs, a research division focused on solving extreme challenges within the database industry on the topics of machine learning; distributed computing; and next-generation chips, storage and memory.
- “Corporate Banking and Future-Ready Technology,” with Ng Peng Khim and Joan Tay from DBS (Development Bank of Singapore), provided an update on the bank’s journey from Oracle Enterprise to MariaDB TX.
- “Massive Scale with MariaDB,” with ServiceNow’s Tim Yim, revealed that the company has a mind-blowing 85,000 MariaDB databases that ServiceNow manages with a custom “multi-instance deployment” implementation.
- “How We Made the Move to MariaDB at FNI,” with William Woods from Financial Network, Inc., shared the considerations, including security, that led FNI to migrate from Oracle to MariaDB.
- “MariaDB AX Panel Discussion on Analytical Use Cases,” featuring Aziz Vahora from Pinger, Jack Sprague from Center of Information Management, and Patrice Linel from Genus Plc., provided an opportunity to hear directly from MariaDB AX users from diverse industries and learn why they chose MariaDB.
- “How Facebook Migrated to MyRocks,” with Facebook’s Yoshinori Matsunobu, covered how Facebook created the MyRocks storage engine (which is in RC for MariaDB Server 10.3) to replace InnoDB in the Facebook users database, and highlighted MyRocks features being developed.
- “Panel Discussion: Open Source in the Enterprise,” featured Bill Montgomery of Red Hat, Dheeraj Golla of Copart, and Phil Mazza of Financial Network, Inc., sharing why they chose to adopt open source, the business and technical challenges they faced and how other enterprises can succeed with open source software.
- “How Copart Switched to MariaDB and Reduced Costs During Growth,” featured Dheeraj Golla and Pravin Malali of Copart explaining why Copart chose to standardize on MariaDB TX, how they convinced operational and development teams to adopt it, and how they’re now evaluating MariaDB AX as a replacement for their current analytics database.
Networking with games
Learning opportunities abounded at M|18, all while having fun. At the opening-night party and closing reception, attendees enjoyed food, drink and conversation – plus a little good-natured competition.
Thanks to the attendees and speakers, M|18 was trending on Twitter. Here are a few of our favorite conference tweets.
Had great time at conference. Helped to reinforce architectural changes needed in our company and how mariadb suite helps. #MARIADBM18— Adam A. Lang (@AdamALang)
An extra thanks …
… to our sponsors for their generous support.
M|19 will be announced soon!
In the next few weeks, we’ll release the dates for our next MariaDB user conference, M|19. Be on the lookout for the announcement!