Thanks to our growing users and customers, MariaDB continues to increase in popularity around the world. Matt Asay at InfoWorld recently wrote about why MariaDB is thriving, citing MariaDB’s climb over the last three years on the DB-engines rankings to 14th overall and in the top 10 of relational databases. “For those keeping score, popular databases like PostgreSQL and MongoDB have inched up the charts in that same timeframe. MariaDB’s movement, by contrast, has been a rocketship.”
Indeed, 2018 was a tremendous year for MariaDB! Here’s a roundup of some of the big announcements and milestones for MariaDB this past year.
- Global user conference: Our second annual MariaDB conference brought together hundreds of customers and users from across the world. Of note, attendees heard from ServiceNow on how they are deploying a staggering 85,000 MariaDB database instances to power its cloud automation platform and the Development Bank of Singapore (DBS) on how they are replacing Oracle Database with MariaDB for their mission critical applications.
- MariaDB Labs: At the user conference, we announced the creation of MariaDB Labs, a new initiative to tackle extreme challenges in the database field in the areas of machine learning, distributed computing and next generation chips. As part of this initiative, we announced a collaboration with Intel on a cloud-centric shared storage architecture.
- MariaDB+MammothDB: In March, we announced the acquisition of MammothDB to bolster our analytical capabilities and advance our larger Database-as-a-service (DBaaS) strategy. The acquisition added a new MariaDB office in Sofia, Bulgaria to better serve our growing European customer base.
- Strengthening MariaDB in the cloud: ServiceNow’s Pat Casey joined the MariaDB board of directors this year, bringing a wide range of deep cloud experience as MariaDB builds our own cloud solutions. Also this year, we partnered with Alibaba Cloud to launch ApsaraDB RDS for MariaDB TX, bringing the enterprise-hardened version of MariaDB to a public cloud for the first time.
- MariaDB+Clustrix: In September, we announced the acquisition of Clustrix to add distributed database technology to MariaDB. The acquisition added new MariaDB offices in Seattle, Washington and Seoul, South Korea to better serve our growing global customer base.
- First to add enterprise capabilities to open source: We are proud to have delivered MariaDB TX 3.0 freeing customers from the constraints of Oracle, Microsoft and IBM. MariaDB TX 3.0 adds features that were previously only available with proprietary databases such as Oracle compatibility features, temporal tables, purpose-built storage engines MyRocks and Spider, and advanced data protection.
- Building with Node.js: Node.js developers now can use a brand-new MariaDB connector for Node.js that’s 1.7 times faster in query performance and 35 times faster in batch processing compared to alternative connectors.
We’ll be announcing even more exciting developments at our annual user and developer conference, MariaDB OpenWorks, February 25-27, 2019. Learn more about OpenWorks and register at mariadb.com/openworks.
From our team at MariaDB, we wish you a happy new year!
Happy New Year | Onnellista uutta vuotta | Feliz año nuevo | Bonne année
Gott Nytt År | Felice Anno Nuovo | Frohes neues Jahr | С Новым годом
Честита Нова Година | 新年快乐 | 良いお年を | 새해 복 많이 받으세요 | नया साल मुबारक हो